Tuesday 16 February 2016

:: gazania rigens ::

Like the centre of the sunflower, the centre of this fireburst of a gazania is an intricate double-helix pattern. Similar colours and look, only a perennial groundcover that is drought-tolerant and hailing from South Africa.  Another of the asteraceae family - I am amazed at how many flowers are - but I guess, anything that looks a bit daisy-like probably is related to them.
I tried quite hard to dislike this flower - Miss P chose it for her succulent and cactus garden and I was all concerned at the bright, clashing colour-scheme. Well, I'm well over that now - we have a veritable RIOT of colour popping up all over the place and I've decided that these are actually quite incredible and wonderfully intense and such a great echo of Father Sun in the middle of the (now, finally warm) Summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment