Saturday 3 September 2016

:: rosmarinus officinalis ::

Surprises are mostly wonderful things...like this rosemary plant that began flowering recently with wild striations of colour I had not expected! COOL!
I was originally thinking I would tell you all about Rosemary - maybe another time - as I had another great surprise today...
...I gingerly went along with 4 jars of saved bean and pumpkin seed that I was willing to part with to the local Spring Seed Swap for the first time...
...my little collection of what I had managed to remember to save and look after felt a bit precious and I put them down on a table scattered with tatty envelopes, names (of what seemed at first glance to be undesirable or old) seeds within scrawled across the fronts in chicken-scratching marks...
...and wondered why on earth had I decided to turn up!
...the small group gathered were hardy-looking gardener sorts most a few decades older than me...
...and then more people turned up...and more...families and hipsters alongside expert greenthumbs...
...more seed packets added to those tables and I began to inspect these little packages a bit more closely...
...actually there were lots of seeds here I would like to grow in my garden...
...by this stage there was a lovely, friendly buzz about the tables and everybody there was respectful and moderate in the amounts they took/swapped...
...my enthusiasm fired up and I ended up taking home about 20 little bags of seeds to update my collection for this season - what an absolutely brilliant event! 
What a nice surprise for a Saturday afternoon in Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment