Wednesday 7 September 2016

:: fumaria ::

A fundamentally annoying weed that suddenly appears as if by magic in any garden I've gardened in in Springtime...it grows at an alarming rate, rapidly entwining it's frustratingly fragile stems between, around and up through all the smaller-growing plants I did actually want to foster...!!
It gets the big " GRRR!" from me.
However, it is very pretty, especially upon closer inspection - and what a marvel each tiny flower is - the shape and colouration are really very beautiful...
...Fumaria or fumitory or fumewort derives from the Latin fumus terrae - or 'smoke of the earth' - I'm guessing that is an apt descriptor of it's swirling growth habit of 'infiltrating' in the way smoke might...?
Anyway, it feels good to me to have a name to the plant I love to hate! And, maybe I might be a little more accepting now I have learnt a little bit about it...LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment