Tuesday 28 June 2016

:: rosmarinus officinalis ::

Rosemary or 'dew of the sea' after the Latin for dew 'ros' and sea 'marinus', is one of the herbs I have grown for the longest time.  There will be a photo of me somewhere hefting a sledge hammer into the concrete outside the kitchen at my parents' home in order to get a place to grow my herbs, when I was about 16 and newly interested in food and the connection to my health. I did actually break up an area of about 2 sqm in a right-angled triangular space and had a lovely assortment of things growing including rosemary, which I planted first and lemon verbena, I seem to remember...
...in our garden today I have the prostrate version growing in a couple of places, slowly making a dense cover along the path to the letterbox with the Chillean guava or NZ cranberry bushes. As the garden is so bare and 'spent', it is one of a few things daring to still bloom - thank you Rosemary!

No comments:

Post a Comment