Monday 30 May 2016

:: lamium purpureum ::

Finding a flower each day is a challenge, for sure - sometimes in finding the time, sometimes in remembering and sometimes just finding a flower!  It is really getting cold here now, with snow to low levels predicted for the South Island over the next few days.  I'm partly highly excited by this idea and partly, because of how cold it will be, apprehensive. Mostly excited.
With the colder weather comes the dramatic slowing down of growth and the struggle to find flora.
In between 'real' plants in the unkempt parts of our garden (most of it at the moment! LOL!) there are loads of these little flowers peeping in between...what are they? Well, after using the best words I could to describe them, I did find them fairly fast on the internet.  
I believe they are 'deadnettles', from the mint family, with the square stem and with the hairy scalloped leaves, only not stinging as the hairs on the leaves are 'dead'. 
They're not particularly interesting other than that...and now that I know what they are I think I might just acknowledge them a little more happily when I come across them while weeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment