Friday 11 March 2016

:: satureja hortensis ::

This might be the tiniest flower I've come across so far...the grey green GIANT leaf in the background, which is TOUCHING this spray of Summer Savoury is just an ordinary sage leaf! The little flowers are smaller than thyme flowers as another indication of size.
A gift from another gardening friend, who handed over these three incredibly tiny, yet sturdy wee seedlings in a punnet. I thought "these will never get anywhere in my little jungle". But, of course, they have!
Summer savoury is delicious with all sorts of meatiness(apparently)...and also BEANS - that's more like it for me! And, apparently, it helps to alleviate the gas from the legume family - so I will definitely be drying it to try for that purpose!!
 One amusing side is that Summer Savoury is a main ingredient in an American seasoning called 'herbes de Provence', which I have seen in quite a few recipes and been ignorant of exactly what this was...just made me giggle, for some reason...too lazy to google it, but hey, the universe eventually brings the answer to me...LOL! (or not!)

No comments:

Post a Comment