Sunday 9 October 2016

:: cynara cardunculus ii ::

One from the harvest trug today - the very shapely globe artichoke.
I was quite surprised to see the first flowerhead steadily pushing skywards in what seemed like the coldest part of August, but two months on, it seems like just the right thing at the right time.
I'd planted these artichokes for a few reasons - and planting for more than one reason always seems like a good plan to me - for their perennial nature, their grey-green foliage and its striking, sculptural form, because they are food and ... because of the artichoke's wonderful powers of filtering and slowing down the wind in a windy South-west-facing corner of the garden...
...these ones are probably a bit further on than their best, as I've just discovered by doing the necessary research...but I'm sure I can coax them into behaving nicely for our dinner plates this evening!
When the next batch come on I shall be that much wiser ;-) !!

No comments:

Post a Comment